Skip to main content

Your web browser is out-of-date. For the best experience, please update to a modern browser like Chrome, Edge, Safari or Mozilla Firefox.

Insights & advice

How does dentalcare work in Canada?

Jun. 2022 – 15 min read

Key takeaways

  • Not all dentalcare is covered by your government health plan 

  • Paying out-of-pocket for dentalcare can be expensive 

  • Private coverage may be available to cover some of those costs 

  • You can apply for dental insurance in less than 15 minutes 

Share on

How does dentalcare work in Canada?

In Canada, we’re lucky enough to have many common health needs covered by our government health insurance, paid for by our taxes.

Dentalcare, however, is generally not one of those.

This means that most Canadians either pay for their dentalcare with a workplace or personal insurance plan, or pay out-of-pocket – which can be expensive.

Each year, 6 million Canadians avoid going to the dentist because they can’t afford it, according to a 2015 report by the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences

Are any dental costs covered by government health insurance?

This can vary, but most provincial and territorial health plans will only cover:

  • Dental surgery in a hospital 
  • Tumour removal 
  • Fracture repair 
  • Reconstructive surgery
  • This means that many common dental procedures are not covered. This could include: 

    • Routine checkup 
    • Cleaning and scaling 
    • Fillings 
    • X-rays 
    • Wisdom tooth removal
    • Root canal
  • There are a few groups of people who may have their dentalcare covered by their government plan. This varies from province-to-province, but can include seniors and low-income individuals, including children.

How can Canadians get dentalcare coverage?

Ready to get health and dental coverage?

If you’d like to explore plans and see how much they could cost you, get a quote

Apply now

This information is general in nature, and is intended for informational purposes only. For specific situations you should consult the appropriate legal, accounting or tax advisor.