May 14, 2019
2018 Public Accountability Statement highlights
companies’ commitment to wellness, environment, workplace and community
Winnipeg, May 14, 2019. . . Today, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life are pleased to announce the release of their 2018 public accountability statement, Delivering for Canadians. The annual report details the companies’ efforts to improve the well-being of their customers, employees, the environment and communities across the nation.
“Improving the financial, physical and mental well-being of Canadians is the driving force behind all we do,” says Paul Mahon, President and Chief Executive Officer of the new Canada Life. “The 2018 public accountability statement details our financial support for over 700 community initiatives, and clearly illustrates our aim to positively impact the world around us. As we move forward under the new Canada Life brand, Canadians can count on us to keep the promises we make.”
- Contributed $13.3 million in community funding across Canada, while employees raised $2.2 million for charity.
- Great-West Lifeco received another A- rating from CDP and GWL Realty Advisors (GWLRA) was recognized nationally and regionally with five awards for sustainability-focused property management practices.
- Launched the Great-West Life Centre for Mental Health in the Workplace Post-Doctoral Fellowship at McMaster University, sponsoring a two-year pilot (2018–2020) of two initiatives: to reduce risk factors and equip participants with lifelong skills to manage mental health; and to explore and produce evidence-based research to help improve mental health challenges caused by work-family stress.
- Welcomed Indigo as the pioneer national employer to offer our first-in-Canada flexible retirement savings program, helping post-secondary graduates pay down student loan debt and save for retirement at the same time.
- GWLRA earned a fourth consecutive Green Star ranking by the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark and second consecutive 5-star rating – the highest available.
- Recycled 76 tonnes of cardboard and 1,030 tonnes of paper and composted 105 tonnes of organics at our corporate head office locations.
- Awarded $81,000 in community volunteer grants to charitable organizations where employees volunteered.
- Introduced our diversity leadership council with a focus in five key areas: women in leadership, indigenous people, young professionals, LGBTQ2+ and persons with disabilities.
- Provided financial support to help Kids Help Phone launch the first ever 24-hour crisis text line.
- Announced a five-year commitment to Indspire’s Building Brighter Futures fund to provide Indigenous students with post-secondary bursaries and scholarships.
About Great West Life, London Life and Canada Life
Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life are leading insurance, wealth management and benefits specialists, focused on improving the financial, physical and mental well-being of Canadians. Under the new Canada Life brand, we help Canadians achieve their potential, every day. Our customers across Canada have trusted us to provide for their financial security needs and deliver on the promises we have made. Together, we serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada and provide a wide range of products and services for individuals, families and business owners.
As an Imagine Caring Company, we support the principles of corporate citizenship and benchmarks for community investment established by Imagine Canada. Our companies contribute at least one per cent of pre-tax profit in support of the communities where our employees and customers live and work. This includes $13.3 million in contributions to non-profit, charitable and community organizations in 2018.
For more information contact:
Director of Media Relations and Public Affairs