June 11, 2020
Free admission and family fun on the second Sunday of every month
Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 11, 2020: The Winnipeg Art Gallery (WAG) and Canada Life are excited to announce the return of Free Sundays@WAG after a two-month hiatus due to COVID-19. Canada Life supported two days of free admission for frontline workers May 5-6, and the WAG reopened to the public May 7.
To maintain safe distancing protocols, a timed ticketing system will be in place. Online pre-registration for timed entry slots is mandatory. Visitors are asked to use the online COVID-19 screening tool, and review Gallery safety measures before arrival.
- Save the date for 2020 Canada Life Free Sundays@WAG: June 14, July 12, August 9, September 13, October 11, November 8, December 13.
- The WAG is open Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with complimentary art-making activities for the whole family on these special days.
- The Rooftop Sculpture Garden is open for the season with breathtaking views of the city skyline, artworks by Canadian and European artists, and a cooling water fountain.
- Free public parking is available at the Canada Life parking lot behind 100 Osborne St. N. for visitors on Canada Life Free Sundays@WAG.
- Downtown street parking is free on Sundays, and several bus routes service Portage Avenue & Colony Street as well as Portage Avenue & Vaughn Street.
- The three-year program, launched in January 2020 gives the public free admission to the WAG on the second Sunday of every month. Canada Life Free Sundays@WAG ensures greater community access to the Gallery and features enriching family programming that changes each month.
- Canada Life Free Sundays@WAG opens the WAG doors wide, inviting people everywhere downtown to the neighborhood of both the WAG and Canada Life to experience the joys of art.
- This monthly programming occurs in the lead-up to the opening of the WAG Inuit Art Centre, which will showcase the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit art in the world.
- Visitors will be able to explore the Into the Light: Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald exhibition, organized and circulated by the McMichael Canadian Art Collection in partnership with the WAG, and presented by Canada Life and Power Corporation of Canada.
“The WAG strives to be a welcoming place in the community, especially during the ongoing pandemic, where people, alone or together, can meet, relax, and be inspired. There has perhaps never been a more critical time to offer uplifting and safe spaces in our communities for learning, enjoyment, and dialogue through the arts. We are excited to share our incredible line-up of exhibitions and programs leading up to the opening of the WAG Inuit Art Centre with Winnipegers and Manitobans. Thank you to Canada Life for helping the WAG open its door to more people, making the Gallery even more accessible for all.”
—Dr. Stephen Borys, Director & CEO, Winnipeg Art Gallery
“At Canada Life, we believe access to arts and culture can help improve a person’s overall wellbeing. We’re proud to give Manitobans from all walks of life the opportunity to discover the creativity, history and stories of Indigenous, Canadian and world-famous artists through Canada Life Free Sundays@WAG. We hope the community will take advantage of the galleries and family-friendly activities to explore art in a hands-on way and enjoy browsing the fascinating works by artists like L.L. FitzGerald.”
—Debbie Down, Director - Community Relations, Canada Life
Associated LinksWinnipeg Art Gallery – Canada Life Free Sundays@WAG Canada Life
For more information or to arrange interviews, please contact:
The Winnipeg Art Gallery is a cultural advocate using art to connect, inspire, and inform. Playing a dynamic role in the community, we are a place for learning, dialogue, and enjoyment through art. The WAG holds in trust the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit art in the world. To celebrate the art and to honour the Inuit, the WAG is building the Inuit Art Centre, the first of its kind. Opening in the coming months, the Centre will bridge Canada’s North and South through exhibitions, research, education, and art making. To learn more visit wag.ca
About The Canada Life Assurance Company
Canada Life is a leading insurance, wealth management and benefits provider focused on improving the financial, physical and mental well-being of Canadians. For more than 170 years, individuals, families and business owners across Canada have trusted us to provide sound guidance and deliver on the promises we’ve made.
As of January 1, 2020, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life became one company – Canada Life, and today, we proudly serve more than 13 million customer relationships from coast to coast to coast.