What we support
Which organizations are eligible to apply for support?
To be considered for funding, your organization must:
- be a registered Canadian charity in good standing with the Canada Revenue Agency.
- provide programs or services in Canada.
- serve a broad community interest aligned with our pillars of support and our company purpose – to improve the mental, physical and financial well-being of Canadians.
- be financially sound, well-managed, and accountable to a volunteer board of directors.
- not discriminate based on race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, veteran status, disability or other characteristic protected by law.
- have submitted a final report demonstrating impact and appropriate use of funds for any initiatives previously funded by our company.
Which organizations, activities or projects do not meet the requirements for support?
- Individuals and individual pursuits
- For-profit enterprises
- Projects outside Canada
- Daycares, preschools, primary or secondary schools
- Student organizations
- Associations, clubs, fraternal or service organizations
- Professional or technical associations
- Travel, accommodations and entertainment
- Religious or sectarian organizations
- In-kind contributions
- Amateur, elite or professional sports
- Registration for sporting events
- Golf tournaments
- Festivals and camps
- Private or corporate foundations
- Third-party fundraising on behalf of a charity
- Political campaigns
- Government and municipalities
- Loans, investments or deficit reduction
- Charities supported by organizations we already fund, such as United Way
What are the submission deadlines?
While we accept proposals throughout the year, we encourage organizations to submit their proposal as early in the calendar year as possible. Please note that new proposals received after June may be considered for the next calendar year.
What is the maximum amount I can request?
We consider many factors, including our benchmarks for comparable initiatives and our overall community support in the region. It’s essential for you to provide a complete case for support, including various funding levels, for our consideration. We strive to find meaningful ways to support important projects and be recognized for our support.
If you contribute funding to our project, are we expected to follow up with you, or vice-versa?
We want to understand how our investment is creating a positive impact for Canadians and the community. If your proposal is successful and results in funding, we will require formal reports that show the impact of our donation and demonstrate financial accountability. This can include the following types of information as applicable to the initiative:
- Results achieved in respect to goals set for this past year
- Organizational outcomes and impact related to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development GoalsOpens a new website in a new window - Opens in a new window
- Fiscal accountability (e.g. final expenses and revenues for this program)
- Resources used (e.g. volunteers, staff, other funders and donors)
- Impact and benefit to target audience
- Impact and benefit on broader community (include collaboration with other organizations/people)
- Corporate acknowledgment and benefits fulfilled
- Future plans and sustainability of the program or project
- Copy of the most recent audited financial statements and annual report
- Report on how Canada Life was recognized for its support, like media coverage
Our organization receives United Way Centraide funding, but only for a particular program. Can we apply for support?
We are long-time contributors to United Way Centraide across Canada, and this allows us to support many organizations served within this framework. For that reason, we generally don’t provide additional funding to organizations already reached through United Way Centraide. We may, however, consider support on an exceptional basis for a major capital campaign of a United Way-supported organization.